Saturday, February 17, 2007

Day 19 – The power of journaling

"Girl, I hate to write. Why I gotta write down all this stuff?"

A great tool of personal empowerment and self-discovery is a food-emotions journal. Most of us don't eat because we're hungry. We eat because we're tired, sad, bored, anxious, angry, lonely, depressed, even happy. We eat when we're sexually satisfied; we eat when we're not. We eat to satisfy emotional unrest, not hunger. To change from an emotional eater to one who eats to satisfy hunger, you must first bring your eating-emotional patterns to your conscious awareness. Writing down everything you eat and how you felt when you ate on a daily basis will prove an enlightening experience. Did you exercise today? Jot it down. Some experts suggest recording your weight on a weekly basis. Others say to throw the scale in the garbage and record, instead, changes in dress size. Whatever works best for you.

I want to learn more about why I eat. I will start my eating-emotions journal today.

1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.