Monday, February 5, 2007

Day 7 – Make peace with your body.

"I'm fat." "My breasts sag." "My thighs look like cottage cheese." "I look like I'm pregnant." "Is that my butt?"
Making peace with our bodies in this Age of Barbie is an uphill battle for those of us who do not fit the mold. The Black woman's struggle is particularly keen, given the ample ways our bodies refuse to conform to the standard. The prelude to inner peace is the calling of a truce to the war raging within our souls. Cease firing criticisms at your body today. Stop it right now. Your body is precious, has carried you through thick and thin. Make peace with your body. Lavish praise on your body. Look in the mirror and tell your naked body that it's a beautiful body. Sink deeply into a tub of bubbles. Get a massage. Your toes deserve a pedicure. Learn to love your body. Exercise it. Pamper it. As you give your body a much deserved rest, it will reward you with health, strength, and vitality.

Today I will chill and make peace with my body. It's a good beginning.

No comments: